It is hard to get that great Orange Chicken Sauce Taste when making it homemade. Well we think we have it just right. Try it out for yourself and becoming a master at homemade orange chicken. It is easy to say this recipe is BETTER than Panda Express. The chicken is crispy and the sauce is similar, but this homemade sauce recipe is just all around more delicious, with more of an authentic orange flavor. And the homemade orange chicken costs less than Panda too! We ever threw some broccoli into ours to add some veggies. You can really add anything you would like to it. But you cannot have it without some cream cheese wontons as well. This is one of our absolute favorite recipes!
Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or other frying oil)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 2 to 3 oranges)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha, more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground ginger (or 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- Season cut chicken with salt and pepper. Add 3/4 cup cornstarch and chicken pieces to a gallon-size resealable bag. Shake to evenly coat the chicken.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the broth, orange zest, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, Sriracha, ginger, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir in the cornstarch dissolved in water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Keep warm.
- Add beaten eggs to a shallow dish. Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan on medium-high heat. (The oil needs to be hot, but reduce heat if it starts splattering too much.) Working in batches (about 3 total) dip each coated piece of chicken in the egg, then add it to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer cooked chicken to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve chicken immediately over rice, tossed or drizzled with the sauce and any veggies you would like to top it off with.
Cream Cheese Wontons Recipe
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese – softened ( regular or lowfat)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons scallions sliced thin
- pinch of garlic powder
- wonton wrappers
- Heat oil in a cooking pot – you need to get it up to 350 degrees.
- Mix together ( cream cheese, garlic powder, and scallions)
- Place 1 tablespoon of mix in a middle of a wonton wrapper
- Fold wanton in half (as a triangle) & simple just found in all 3 edges. Secure the edges with water to ensure they stick together.
- Put wonton into oil & cook until golden brown
- Once golden brown place on a paper towel – make sure you let them cool before eating them! (We know it is tempting!)
We would love to know what you think! Share with us your own favorite recipes as well.